Tuesday, May 28, 2013

May 28 Reduce-Reuse-Recycle

As we get into this farming thing, we are trying to reuse and recycle anything we can.  We want to end up with a top notch process and product but want to be frugal to accomplish that.  So - we found a source of free topsoil - but - it is full of tree roots.  There is a mulch company fairly close to us that has a large pile of soil, but it is full of tree roots so they can't sell it.  We can have as much as we want - but - we either use it full of the roots - or - I have been screening out the roots using a 1/2 inch hardware cloth (screen) and we get this really fine topsoil.  Charley was really excited when he came home and saw what I had produced.
 

This is how much I got done today!


Wilma and I are going out to Iowa tomorrow to spend a couple days with Mom, so the project will have to be continued when I return.  Bob will be working alone for a few days.  When I return, I expect the top board to be put on and I'll keep going.  I'll mix the soil with equal amount of peat.

No comments:

Post a Comment