Sunday, July 21, 2013

July 21, 2013

Busy week again.  The temperatures were HOT!!  I can't take the heat because I had sunstroke at some point in my past.  Bob decided to pull weeds in the potatoes.  Otherwise, how will Charley be able to find them to dig?  For a few minutes, I was holding an umbrella over his head, but I got in his way.  Then we went and got the canopy.  It is one of the telescoping kind, so is very easy to set up - Except that one of the legs got broken last summer, so we had to prop a rake under one corner.  It worked well, but that task was just to overwhelming.  We gave up.  The areas where we mulched and hilled the potatoes earlier in the season kept the weeds down there, so that section should be good.  In this area, I guess he will just have to hunt.

I went to a friend's house to see her garden and they use cardboard for mulch with straw over it.  I think that is a great idea.  Maybe we need to start collecting cardboard for next year.


We hope to break ground for our house this week.  We haven't been told that for sure, but the paperwork is all in place.  In the front of the house, there will be an elevation drop for the walk-out basement.  I drove past this rock outcropping and I told Charley I want him to build something like this for the front yard.  I'm sure he can come close.


The drive out to the friend's house that I mentioned above is a beautiful drive.  I think the kids said that John Michael Montgomery lives (or lived) along this road.  The Kentucky four-plank fences ...


And the old stacked stone walls.  Made for a beautiful drive.


On Saturday, we were privileged to attend Rachel Bradley's (now Reilly) wedding.  We had some time to drive around the city of Cincinnati and found it very picturesque.


Cindy (with her husband Nathan) was the matron of honor.


Rachel and her husband Kevin make a beautiful couple!  We had a wonderful time with old neighbors from Wheaton.


The wedding was held in the beautiful St Mark's Church.

 
This week we harvested the beets and some swiss chard.  The chard continues to produce for a while, but I will need to figure out what to plant in my raised bed where the beets were.  We got our first tomatoes, but there was a lot of blossom end rot.  Had to throw away as much as we were able to pick.  Had some orange tomatoes that looked wonderful, but couldn't eat them ourselves because we needed them for the CSA baskets.  Hopefully this week. 
 
Oh - also we celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary this week.  We went out to dinner today after church with Claude and Sallie and the kids.  Had a wonderful time.  Thanks!
 
Another week in the Bluegrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment